• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Do you sleep with your contacts in?

Treefa

Bluelighter
I sure do...Have been for about 3 years now, because i f i try to install them in the morning they make my eye feel like im touching it witha paper clip or something for about 15 mins and it makes it look like im crying, so i just sleep with em in.
Is this bad for my eyes and if so how bad?

I've heard that leaving contacts in for prolonged periods of time (this includes sleeping) can cause your retinas to become scratched. Scratches on your retinas are not good. I've also heard the contact can get stuck where you cannot retrieve it, but I don't know how true that is.

Not to mention leaving your contacts in overnight will shorten their lifespan. If your contacts are "good for a month," that's assuming you take them out when you don't need them. So, for every eight additional hours you leave them in, you're shortening their useable time.

The few times I fell asleep with contacts in, I could hardly open my eyelids and move my eyes when I woke up! It was like super glue had been applied in my eyes. Trying to get the contacts out was downright painful!

I leave my contacts in all the time.....I take them out for a night when they start feeling scratchy....I know it's probably technically bad, but I'm too busy to be fucked with taking them out, putting them in

^ How long have you been doing this for, zombiesare? Have you had any negative effects? Has your eye doctor said anything when you get checkups?

I know I fell asleep with my contacts in once and made sure to never do it again--Felt like someone put sand in my eyes.

I now have the contacts that you can sleep in, so hell yes I do it.

I also did it for the past 12 years with just normal Acuvue 2's. My vision is fine, it leveled off and stopped deteriorating when i was like 20, and the eye doctor hasn't said anything since.

Usually a set of lenses last me like 2-3 months. (bad, i know)

Dang, you are in the "bad" book for eye care according to most eye professionals! No offense meant, but you're breaking just about every rule I've been told with contact/eye care.

Just wanted to point out to everyone else that while one or two people may not have had any issues with keeping their contacts in for long periods of time, that doesn't mean that you won't have issues. If you're worried, go get an eye exam--That's the only way to know for sure if damage has been done.

Oh, I know I am. Main reason I invested in these more expensive contacts - I don't have to worry about them hardly ever. I usually rinse them once to twice a week and take them out some nights, but not most.

Yea i pretty much do the same thing as zombie, and have been for a few years. I have eye checkups every 6 months or so, and doc never said nothing.

He asked if i sleep with em in i said sometimes8)
For me its more comfortable to have them in than out so fuck it. I took em out 2 days ago and am letting my eyes air out .

When i sleep in em tho, i open my eyes fine, no discomfort whatsoever...wierd huh?????
Sometimes they do get dry and blurry esp if im on a substance like lean or have been smokin all day, and sometimes they even fall out but usually they good, but next time i go i WILL tell the doctor of my terrible habit and hope he dont take away my script lol:)

I used to have contacts that didn't have to be taken out at night for up to a week, but sometimes I would wear them for like 2-3 weeks straight. Now I got some that need to be taken out every night, sometimes I fall asleep with them on and I wake up with my eyes all dried out. I saw a commercial for contacts that can be worn for a month straight.

My fiancee never takes them out and has never had his doctor tell him he's had any negative effects.

Only been wearing contacts for about 2 months now. The only time I slept with them in was 2 weeks ago when I was drizzunk as hell. When I woke up the next morning I was scared but they came out easily enough. Phew!

so the general consencus is that some pople with fuckin post-menopausal eyes cant sleep with em in or they dry out. But for those of us with dripping wet eyes, it dont make a fuck wherther you sleep with the m in or out

^ You never know what the long-term effects may be though. I mean, it could take years for the damage to become evident and then you're left with scratches on your cornea.

Or you could be fine. *Shrug* I know I wouldn't sleep with something in my eye.

Yea man i realise that and that i should also stop sleeping with em in. Ill just come clean with the doc and make sure everything is legit. If not ill have to go the way of ben stein or some shit

Overwear of soft contact lenses deprives your cornea of oxygen. This stimulates blood vessel growth to the corneal which is devoid or blood vessels. The cornea needs a proper oxygen exchange to remain clear. Overwear can lead to swelling to the cornea and ulcers.

Depending on the damage, you can lose your sight. The cornea is responsible for 2/3 of your visual clarity. It is the risk you take when you do something you should not be doing.

If you must sleep in them, buy a 30 day continuous wear lens or rigid gas permeable.

I might sleep in my lenses once a month. I buy the 30 day continuous in case I am too knackered to care about taking them out.

Never. I take my contacts out around 4-7pm every day. My eyes Burn, are incredibly dry and can't handle wearing lenses (already) around 1/2 point of my waking day. Each brand I try is worse, seemingly.

I wear my glasses more and more BECAUSE my contacts are such a pain! (great pun, eh!? Wahaha!) Good thing I'm a sexy biatch in my glasses. ;) You all ALSO wear glasses?

If you must sleep in them, buy a 30 day continuous wear lens or rigid gas permeable.

I might sleep in my lenses once a month. I buy the 30 day continuous in case I am too knackered to care about taking them out.

This is what Seth does. Maybe if they were longer-wear it would bother him more?